Topas Ecolodge and Nam Cang Riverside Lodge are located outside of Sapa town, in the tranquil mountains. Go beyond and visit the many colorful minority groups of Sapa, on a cultural tour with guided village walks and overnight stay in a Red Dao village and at Topas Ecolodge.
Your journey from Hanoi to Sapa is by the new Topas Mountain Express. The 10 seats limousine has luxurious modern interior design with wood and leather, spacious and soft chairs, offers you a comfortable journey.
Destinations: Ha Noi – Lao Cai – Sa Pa – Lao Cai – Ha Noi
- Discover hideaway colourful Sa Pa.
- Learn more of ethnic culture and religion.
- Best time for trekking from April to June and August to December.
- Boots/sport shoes, headlights, clothes, sleeping bag, hat, camera, binoculars, insect repellent, etc required.
- Hike in a group. Always have at least one other person with you if you are going on low-traffic trails or be accepting of the risk you take in having no one able to aid you.
- Always ask permission first before taking photographs, especially in minority areas.
Day 1: Ha Noi – Lao Cai (-/-/-)
Manage your own vehicle to Ha Noi railway station. Catch your train and go to Lao Cai. Overnight on train.
Day 2: Lao Cai – Sa Pa – Nam Cang Riverside Homestay (B/L/D)
Arrive early in the morning in Lao Cai and have a transfer to Sapa. You will enjoy breakfast in a nice local restaurant.
You then head off into the beautiful Hoang Lien National Park by car, along the road you have the chance to see big rice terraces and a hopefully the high tops of the mountain range. Soon your guide will introduce you to the biggest group of minorities in this area, the colorful Black H’mong people, famous for their indo colored cloths and silver necklace.
The walk is on a good path and will take few hours, plenty of time to learn about history and traditional customs. You will then continue the transfer deeper into the valley and cross the beautiful Muong Bo River before reaching Thanh Phu village of Tay minority. Here you will see the big difference in culture as the group wears lighter colors of silk clothing.
Your lunch will be served next to the rice fields in a local restaurant. After lunch the tour continues to the small village of My Son and an interesting afternoon walk. This remote tribe is the smallest minority group in Sapa area and home to Xa Pho people. In the afternoon we arrive in the remote and quiet Red Dao village of Nam Cang. Walking along the small roads you will soon understand that this is “off the beaten trail”, people are looking happily. Finally you will cross a private bridge and check into your private room in the comfortable Nam Cang Riverside lodge. You can now explore the village or relax in the river or at the riverside veranda.
Day 3: Nam Cang – Sa Pa – Topas Ecolodge (B/-/-)
The Red Dao minority dominate Nam Cang and surrounding villages. The Red Dao women wear some of the most colorful and diverse costumes of all Vietnam’s ethnic groups. Herbal bath, local medicine and embroidery are some of the things that the Red Dao are very skilled at. Accompanied by your guide, you will explore around the village and learn how the local villagers make writing paper, jewelry and embroidery.
An alternative option is to walk up to the jungle camp to visit the cardamom fields. During the walk, you will be inspired by the origin of the nature. If the weather and water level permits, a swim in the river is a great experience.
Late in the afternoon you have a transfer to the hilltop located Topas Ecolodge. From your bungalow’s balcony, you may enjoy your aerial view over the mountainous area where you have just been to.
Day 4: Topas Ecolodge – Sa Pa – Lao Cai – Ha Noi (B/-/-)
Start the day with breakfast at the lodge. At 9h00 you begin your half day hike to the Red Dao ethnic minority village of Lech. You follow the road for a while before descending towards a river. Walking through rice paddy terraces gives you many opportunities to enjoy the magnificent valley view.
Cross the river by a stone bridge and then follow a trail up to the village where you may experience daily life and learn how the women in their doorways do their traditional embroidery. From here, head back to the lodge where you may rest for the remainder of the day or take the scheduled shuttle bus into Sapa. Depart Sapa town at 17h00, by private car to Lao Cai for the night train back to Hanoi. Overnight on train.
- English speaking guide on excursions & picking up at Laocai station
- All indicated transportation by AC vehicle
- Accommodation 1 night at Nam Cang Riverside Lodge (twin shared room) http://namcangriversidelodge.com/
- Accommodation for 1 night at Topas Ecolodge (twin shared room Deluxe bungalow) www.topasecolodge.com
- Mineral water and snacks during hiking time
- Indicated meals (B as breakfast; L as lunch; D as dinner)
- Home-stay overnight fees
- Entrance fees and permits
- Train tickets Hanoi – Lao Cai – Hanoi
- Travel insurance
- Accommodation pre or post trip
- Drinks and Beverage
- Meals which are not indicated
- Other services not indicated as inclusive
- Visa entrance
- All international/domestic airfare and airport tax
- Tips for tour guide and driver