Disclaimer: This information is collected from official sources and arranged by us. These entry policies are subject to change at any moment. Keep checking for the latest updates from the government official news to confirm any visa or entry requirement before your departure.
1. Tourism Reopening Status of Cambodia in 2021
On November 14, 2021, Cambodia Prime Minister Hun Sen announced that the entire country would open up to international travelers from Monday, November 15. It surprised international media because this change was totally unexpected and different from the policy they has proclaimed a few days before as opening their border in phases.
At the moment, Cambodia is the pioneer among Indochina countries in terms of fully reopening tourism for international travelers. Meanwhile, Vietnam and Laos still keep their reopening plan in phases. Please, kindly click here to find out more on the plan of Vietnam in reopening the tourism sector.
In general, under the new rules, entrants who visit Cambodia are categorized into 2 groups with different regulations for each group:
- Fully vaccinated travelers arriving from abroad can skip quarantine, if they’re tested negative for the virus via RT-PCR methods within 72 hours before departure, and tested negative again on arrival by RTK. Visitors are free to explore all of Cambodia unrestricted without quarantine if the result turns negative. If test results are positive, a PCR test is successively conducted to confirm the results. Travelers will undergo an isolation/quarantine facility if the result is confirmed as positive.
- Travelers who have not been vaccinated or fully vaccinated are still required to undergo the 14-day quarantine at the designated destination or Alternative State Quarantine hotel. Travelers will need to deposit an amount of 2000 USD in cash to cover the quarantine cost if they quarantine at a government-designated hotel. Any unused portion will be returned to travelers.
*December 2021 Update: In order to deal with the rapid spread of the new COVID-19 Omicron variant, all travelers who have transited or been present in Botswana, Eswatini, Lesotho, Mozambique, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Angola, South Africa, Zambia, and Malawi within 14 days will be required to take Covid-19 PCR test on arrival. They also are mandated to undergo a 7-day quarantine at their expense.
2. Flights available to visit Cambodia in 2021
At the moment, flights are scheduled to the capital, Phnom Penh, but there was none for Siem Reap which is the town near Angkor Wat – the most popular ancient city in Southeast Asia.
*Ealier December Update: On December 16, 2021, the first international flight connecting Singapore and Siem Reap was successfully conducted by Singapore Airlines (SIA). The SIA will operate every day flights connecting Siem Reap and Singapore on the Boeing 737-8.
3. Entry Requirements for Visitors Entering Cambodia in 2021
Cambodia Visa Application in 2021
Issuing tourist visas on arrival is currently not available, however, e-visa for tourists planning to travel to Cambodia have been restarted. Some requirements and fees are subject to change. Please check the Cambodia Government official portal www.evisa.gov.kh or through a consulate of Cambodia or an embassy.
Regulations on Health Insurance with Visitors traveling to Cambodia in 2021
Proof of health insurance with a minimum coverage of 50,000USD of Covid-19 treatment is needed to enter Cambodia. (Alternative) Visitors can also purchase COVID insurance covering a 20 day period on arrival at Phnom Penh Airport for 90 USD.
Proof of Vaccination requirement to enter Cambodia in 2021
While there’s no prohibition against non-vaccinated visitors, only visitors who are fully vaccinated against Covid-19 will be allowed to enter Cambodia without quarantine. Travelers need to show proof of two doses of vaccine, or the first dose with the one-dose vaccine on arrival.
Entrants who have not been vaccinated or fully vaccinated are required to follow a 14-day quarantine in accordance with Cambodia Government regulations.
Covid-19 tracking method during your stay in Cambodia in 2021
Install ‘Tracerapp’ before leaving the airport.
4. Restrictions and Open tourist attractions in Cambodia in 2021
Over the past 20 months of closing the border, the lack of international travelers has forced many tourist attractions, restaurants, and tourism facilities to close. However, with the new border reopening policy, businesses related to the tourism sector are restarting their operations. Temples, museums, and attractions are now ready to welcome visitors. However, Covid-19 is still widely spreading all over the world, so both visitors and locals are encouraged to wear masks and have safety methods to protect themselves.
5. Returning home from Cambodia in 2021
For information relevant to your circumstances, keep up to date with the latest announcements of local authorities because each country has its own restrictions for travelers arriving from abroad.