Just like an idyllic scene from an old Asian painting, Vang Vieng is Laos’ small town in Vientiane Province surrounded by picturesque, serene mountain ranges and endless flows of Nam Song River.
With numerous mysterious caves to explore, lagoons of turquoise water to dive into and sheer cliffs to conquer, Vang Vieng is a true paradise for every backpackers and adventurer. All the comfortable homestays, cosy internet cafes, luxurious hotels, lively bars, efficient and prompt trekking companies are all widely opened to greet your arrival with welcoming arms.
Vang Vieng would not be an appropriate destination to the admirer of traditional Lao culture and special Lao cuisine but by indulging yourself beside the river and watching as the sun slowly vanishes behind the majestic mountains, surely you will be overwhelmed by the feeling of a wondrous peace and calm covering the whole town.
Spend a few days in Vang Vieng to rent a scooter, take a motorcycle tour, go tubing or trekking – and give in to one of Laos’ most charmingly picturesque spots and you will find Vang Vieng well worth the visit.
Things to know when coming to Vang Vieng
When coming to Vang Vieng, here are some things you should know:
1. Location: Vang Vieng is a town located in central Laos, surrounded by stunning limestone mountains and the Nam Song River.
2. Outdoor Activities: Vang Vieng is renowned for its outdoor activities, including kayaking, tubing, rock climbing, and exploring caves. These activities offer incredible views of the surrounding landscape.
3. Tubing: Tubing down the Nam Song River is a popular tourist activity. However, it’s important to exercise caution and follow safety guidelines to avoid accidents.
4. Weather: Vang Vieng experiences a tropical climate with hot and humid conditions. The best time to visit is during the dry season from November to April when the weather is pleasant.
5. Cultural Sensitivity: Laos is a predominantly Buddhist country, so it’s important to be respectful of their customs and traditions. Dress modestly when visiting temples and be mindful of local etiquette.
6. Health and Safety: Stay hydrated, use sun protection, and be cautious while participating in adventurous activities. It’s advisable to have travel insurance and consult a doctor regarding any necessary vaccinations before your trip.
7. Local Cuisine: Vang Vieng offers a variety of delicious Lao cuisine. Don’t miss trying local specialties like laap (minced meat salad), sticky rice, and spicy papaya salad.
8. Nightlife: Vang Vieng used to be known for its wild party scene, but in recent years, efforts have been made to calm it down. While some bars and clubs still operate, ensure you enjoy them responsibly and be mindful of noise levels.
9. Transportation: The town is small enough to explore on foot, but renting bicycles or motorbikes is also a popular option. Tuk-tuks and songthaews (shared taxis) are available for longer distances.
10. Sustainability: Vang Vieng has faced environmental issues in the past due to irresponsible tourism. Help preserve the natural beauty by disposing of waste properly and supporting eco-friendly activities.
Remember to research and plan ahead to make the most of your tour to Vang Vieng. Enjoy your trip!
Create your custom-made trip to Vang Vieng, Laos
Travelling to Vang Vieng? Chat with a local travel specialist in Vang Vieng, who can help organize your trip.